Thursday, June 7, 2012

For all you trail lovers out there.

 This is the Philadelphia River Trail. For a description of this trail click here. It runs along the Schuylkill River from the Justice Bell to the Liberty Bell. When I lived in the suburbs of Philly, I frequently rode my bike for several hours finding it quite therapeutic. As you can see I took several pics. When the trail came into Philadelphia, you had the option of going either along Kelly Drive which is quite scenic or you could continue on into Fairmont Park and into Wissahickon Valley Park Trail. I rode my bike on this trail probably every other day. Now this was way back in my early thirties when I had a little more energy but even now as I age I still have a strong desire to explore so many other trails that I have not yet visited, such as the Great Allegheny Passage in Pittsburgh that goes all the way to D.C. Maybe one day, Lord willing I will get that chance.
 On this trail, if you took some cash with you and plenty of energy pills, you could pretty much bike all day. From Fairmont Park all the way up to Green Lane. I am not sure how many total miles the entire trail is but it should be at least 70 miles. The trail would meet up with the Delaware River and you could bike along side the boat row houses on Kelly Drive. At dusk, all the boat row houses are lighted and it looks real pretty with the reflection from the River. The trail takes you right to the Art museum.
 Towards the Philadelphia area, there would be more cars obviously, but as long as you stayed on the trail, it was quite pleasant. The trail would go under several bridges as you approached the Philly area.
 The trail went through the Manayunk and Conshohocken areas so you could stop and visit the many little shops and stores. As you can see many of these trails are converted from old train lines so this is what makes them interesting.
 Some of these trails have quick stops designed just for the trail users. So if you get hungry or thirsty, you can make a quick pit stop. Not to mention all the folks you could potentially meet along the way.......you know the avid marathon adventure seekers who love the thrill of endless exercise!
 This Conshohocken area is mostly business. Some investors have put money into apartments along the river.........I wonder how that is doing? They were building this back in 2005-2006 like there was going to be exponential growth. I am sure that has all changed now in this economy!
I remember on this part of the trail that starts in Valley Forge, I was running one day and suddenly this horse comes trotting down the trail complete with saddle and reins but no rider or owner. I found this rather entertaining. So I just assumed the horse got away from its owner and I grab its reins and started to walk with the horse and sure enough its' owner was so happy to see his horse. Apparently they tried to cross the river but it spooked the horse and the horse took off. It was a good thing I grabbed that horse because he would have just kept on going...........all the way to Philadelphia!

 This part of the trail is the Perkiomen Trail. It goes from Collegeville up to Green Lane and runs along side the Perkiomen creek. It is more quiet and laid back. There are a lot of bridges and pretty flowers that pop up in the Spring. You could pack a lunch and bike all the way up the Green Lane Park and Lake.
 As you can see, there are many bridges.
 And pretty picket fences. This was a large Lilac bush and the smell of honeysuckle and lilac was intoxicating. Just taking a deep breath soothed the soul from all the busyness and stress of life.

These big boulders like they have out here in NW PA are more up towards Green Lane. But it is mostly farm land as you are moving more towards the end of the trail.
And here of course is Green Lane Park where you end up. I know the folks around here in NW PA love their rails to trails. The Ridgway to Brockway or Clarion to Toby Creek rails to trails is similar but all these trails are unique in there own way and if you have the time and the money, exploring them is a great hobby. Next time I will post pics of the Delaware Canal River Trail that extends from the Camden area, along through the Yardley and New Hope areas all the way up to Easton PA.