This is the Delaware Canal Trail. For a link to the trail click here.
It runs along the Delaware River that borders Pennsylvania and New Jersey. This part of the trail is around Yardley PA. Many years ago, before the oil boom, donkeys and horses would pull small barges used to transport coal as their major source of energy. This canal extended for many miles to help heat many homes and fuel cars. As you can see the canal is on the left while the Delaware is on the right. The limestone gravel path was used by the horses and the people to hull the coal up and down the river. Today they obviously no longer do that so people use this trail as recreation.
And delightful it is. These pictures I took when I was living in the area back in 2003. Fall was particularly special because of all the pretty leaves and their reflection on the canal. Sometimes the canal water would dry up completely but as soon as the Spring rains would come that would quickly change. There are many homes along the river and canal and some folks would use their kayaks and little dinghies to fart around in the canal.
Water would empty out through a wheel and these canal locks would be used to manage the amount of water into the canal. Like I said before they do not use these canals anymore as a means of transportation but they do offer a scenic view along the trail. I have always enjoyed taking pictures as a hobby and this is what I did for my collection. You can even do a collage while you collect fall leaves. Something creative and educational to do with your kids!
This part of the trail would bring you into New Hope, PA. Quaint little town and plenty of neat little shops like antiques, eaters, and candles. New Hope is a fun little place to vacation. If you are into antiquing and like to collect little trinkets and love to peruse lots of neat shops, then this is the place to visit.
I had to take a pic here because of the brilliant yellow tree. This is still the town of New Hope. The only drawback is all the people that swarm to this place because of the shopping and recreation.
This is a little restaurant right on the canal where you can stop and eat something along the way. They do mock donkey runs with a boat that you can board and get a tour of New Hope in a boat pulled by a donkey. Kind of like in Venice Italy.
On the weekends many families would bike on the trail so it would get a little crowded from time to time. Before I moved out here to NW PA, in 2006 there was one Spring that the Delaware flooded its banks 3 times in less than 3 months. Many businesses and homes were destroyed. That is one big reason why I would never want to live by a river! I can not imagine having to clean out my home THREE times in less than 3 months. I would have thrown in the towel by then.
Another home along the canal. This one was lighted up. Looked real pretty, so I had to take a pic.
More homes along the canal. I believe this is passing through Lumberville.
On this trail you could pass through Washington's Crossing. It is the actual place where George Washington and his troops passed the Delaware into Trenton to fight off the Brits!
Some of these pictures have a reflection on them because I took a picture of a picture in order to upload them.
For a link to all trails in Pennsylvania to explore click here.
It runs along the Delaware River that borders Pennsylvania and New Jersey. This part of the trail is around Yardley PA. Many years ago, before the oil boom, donkeys and horses would pull small barges used to transport coal as their major source of energy. This canal extended for many miles to help heat many homes and fuel cars. As you can see the canal is on the left while the Delaware is on the right. The limestone gravel path was used by the horses and the people to hull the coal up and down the river. Today they obviously no longer do that so people use this trail as recreation.
And delightful it is. These pictures I took when I was living in the area back in 2003. Fall was particularly special because of all the pretty leaves and their reflection on the canal. Sometimes the canal water would dry up completely but as soon as the Spring rains would come that would quickly change. There are many homes along the river and canal and some folks would use their kayaks and little dinghies to fart around in the canal.
Water would empty out through a wheel and these canal locks would be used to manage the amount of water into the canal. Like I said before they do not use these canals anymore as a means of transportation but they do offer a scenic view along the trail. I have always enjoyed taking pictures as a hobby and this is what I did for my collection. You can even do a collage while you collect fall leaves. Something creative and educational to do with your kids!
This part of the trail would bring you into New Hope, PA. Quaint little town and plenty of neat little shops like antiques, eaters, and candles. New Hope is a fun little place to vacation. If you are into antiquing and like to collect little trinkets and love to peruse lots of neat shops, then this is the place to visit.
I had to take a pic here because of the brilliant yellow tree. This is still the town of New Hope. The only drawback is all the people that swarm to this place because of the shopping and recreation.
This is a little restaurant right on the canal where you can stop and eat something along the way. They do mock donkey runs with a boat that you can board and get a tour of New Hope in a boat pulled by a donkey. Kind of like in Venice Italy.
On the weekends many families would bike on the trail so it would get a little crowded from time to time. Before I moved out here to NW PA, in 2006 there was one Spring that the Delaware flooded its banks 3 times in less than 3 months. Many businesses and homes were destroyed. That is one big reason why I would never want to live by a river! I can not imagine having to clean out my home THREE times in less than 3 months. I would have thrown in the towel by then.
Another home along the canal. This one was lighted up. Looked real pretty, so I had to take a pic.
More homes along the canal. I believe this is passing through Lumberville.
Some of these pictures have a reflection on them because I took a picture of a picture in order to upload them.
For a link to all trails in Pennsylvania to explore click here.