Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My great adventure out West in 1995!

When I was 23 (light years ago), my dad and I went out west for about 2 weeks. This came as a surprise to me as I was not expecting to get a chance to go (my two brothers and my dad had been out west a couple times before so this would be my first time).



Seeing pictures of the Colorado Rockies, the weathered rocks in Arches National Park, the Mesas and the Buttes of Mesa Verde National Park and the bazaar rock formations of Bryce Canyon and beyond would be a geologist lovers dream! But pictures do not do the geology justice........you must see with your own eyes the beauty and majesty of God's handiwork.


It is quite fascinating to see how water has shaped many of these canyons through the millions of years. Water is the most destructive force of nature and will change the landscape. It is funny how you do not really think about these things until you are up close and personal with them. You feel so small when hiking these canyons and looking down at 1000-2000 foot drops into several canyons. Talk about living on the edge. Well, this is it!





Please clink on the picture to enlarge and read how water shapes a canyon.


















Here I am at Mesa Verde Park. This park is quite unique in showing the resourcefulness of ancient man and it too is an archeological lovers dream. It is amazing to see how ancient man built a civilization literally in the rocks. How unique is that? This is why I love history. I think of all the places we visited out West, this by far was most interesting.




















When you arrived there, you had to walk on a 1-2 mile trail that led out to these ancient cliff dwellers and once you see this up close, nothing can compare to this strange existence of man. Sometimes I wonder if I were among these people, what would my life be like?










They had many dig sites to visit and explore. Very interesting and exciting; hands-on experience.
We also collected a bunch of rocks to start a collection. There are a ton of Indian trading posts and they are fun to visit.










The West is the only place in the United States where 4 states touch each other. Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona all border each other and they call it the four-corners.

















Near Colorado Springs there is this other unique place called the Garden of the Gods. Rock climbers frequent this place as do photographers. Outdoor enthusiasts and adventure seekers would be there as well. In this garden they have a natural amphitheater that uses the rocks to create surround sound or acoustics.













When we stayed in Moab, Utah, I hiked out to the delicate arch in Arches National Park to see the Delicate Arch up close. The hike was about 1.5 miles but out there the altitude is much different so it did not matter if you were in great shape, the hike took your breath away both physically and visually. When I finally rounded the corner and saw this majestic piece of handiwork crafted by God, my jaw dropped. Stunningly beautiful and absolutely incredible how this arch was formed over many years by the elements. I do not know how anyone cannot believe in a Creator of the Universe. No matter what people say, something far superior than me and someone super intelligent had to create this work of art. This is nothing to God to create of course
because this is a reflection of Him.



The weather was perfect. Everyday the sun was out, the air was dry and not a storm cloud on the horizon. So naturally I was energized. I had to hike every trail. If I could live anywhere else in the United States it probably would be Colorado or Utah. There were so many trails to explore and so many things to take pictures of. You could never get bored!













Here I am with my dad in Utah. A German man who was a tourist took our picture. Each arch out there has a name. I think this is called the Window Arch. The red jacket I am wearing my dad got for me from his campus that he attended in Kansas. Kansas University and the Jay Hawks. Well I am not Jay Hawk fan, I just loved the jacket and the color!





















Of course I had to get pictures in front of every state and park sign; you know to prove I've been there. Well whatever, I know that doesn't really matter but I just know pictures never seem to do the justice of actually being face to face in place and person.





Hope you enjoyed my trip out West. Who knows, maybe you will get out there soon. I had a journal and photo book of this trip but since I love blogging and writing and journaling, I thought this would be a great opportunity to store this online. Blogging for me is a creative expression of who I am and this is why I have kept my blog, although I often wonder what the heck blog stands for and who thought of that term..........sounds kind of stupid. Couldn't they have thought of a more intelligent term like online journaling?