Friday, November 19, 2010

Suburbs or rural living?

Well I came down here to Pittsburgh to see Dr. David Jeremiah talk about the economic collapse as it relates to Bible Prophecy. The event was held at the new Console "Energy" Center. Unfortunately I did not go. Part of me wanted to, but the other part that saw all the people everywhere and all the traffic wilted my energy immediately.

I do not know if its my age or that I have changed but I just can not stand the traffic (waiting 5-10 mins for a light to change.....at every light), the crowds (just trying to find a parking space is daunting enough), and a mass exodus of people everywhere. Some people are energized by large crowds, others are energized by being alone. I enjoy being alone now but when I was in my early twenties, I loved the suburbs and large cities. I used to go to Manhattan several times a year when I lived on the Jersey shore and getting out and about and meeting people was fun and quite an adventure, probably because I had much more energy then.

When I was 27, I relocated to Atlanta to go to a large Southern Baptist church to meet new people, and to meet Dr. Charles Stanley and see another part of the country.....to explore, but my life ended up being the topic of church gossip.......any new friend I met would without a doubt repeat everything I said and this was long before I had a computer and did any kind of internet activity. My life became so scrutinized and sometimes overtly with a mean spirited tone, that at times it became unbearable. I never in a million years thought that once I was thrust into the limelight that it would create such stress that frankly it was not worth it. I remember before I moved down there, an older woman whom I had befriended, gave me some advice........I guess because she saw a naive young girl. She said to me, "Cindy, do not expect people to embrace you the way you embrace people" (that was back in the day when I trusted just about anyone). She was right because she was older and wiser, but unfortunately I did not heed her advice and was met with much disappointment and hurt. But you get over it and get on with your life and learn the lesson that you can not trust everyone and you should not because thats just prudent. But to be fair, not all of it was bad because I did meet some wonderful people.

When I was 31, this yankee left Confederate territory and moved back north to the suburbs of Philly. There I had my car stolen and was involved in a hit and run..........a young black kid slammed my rear end and took off while I was waiting at a red light. Philly no doubt has its pluses.......it is so much easier to navigate than Pittsburgh!

When I was 35, I moved to rural northwest Pennsylvania to be near my dad who has health issues and it was difficult at first trying to adjust to rural living when I was used to living in the suburbs. Rural living is so much more relaxed and perhaps now I have gotten used to it. There are disadvantages of course..........no cultural activities such as museums and arts, no sporting events and not much shopping, but the outdoor adventures far exceed your lack of things to do. I have always been an outdoor person, enjoying running, hiking and biking. I have been a runner for about 18 years now and run about 12 miles every other day, although my stamina obviously has changed because of my age. So when I run out on my woody trails I am more likely to see a wild turkey, porcupine, or a black bear than I am to see a mass sea of people or a naked person! The hiking trails and camping are everywhere and fresh spring water is available too. There are a lot less people around and most, although not all, are not in a BIG hurry! More laid back and at ease!

I stayed there for about 2 years but felt the rural living was getting to me so I moved back east to Allentown Pennsylvania. Not long after I moved there my car window was smashed to pieces and my handbag stolen. I thought about getting tickets to go to the US OPEN because I have been tennis fan for years now, but the whole idea of going to Flushing Meadows and crowds of people and the traffic turned me off immediately. I would rather watch it on TV. Eventually I moved back here to rural NW PA and have come to really enjoy the slower pace of life.

But that is me right now and I believe that we change through life. I know I have!

Like I said before in my previous post that privacy and space are essential to peoples well being. And solitude is understated in todays world of consumerism. Living in the suburbs is tantamount to living in a sardine can, no wonder people are STRESSED out to the max! Understand, I am not trying to paint a bad picture of people who live in the suburbs or cities.

So which is better.........the suburbs or the rural areas? I guess it depends on your prerogative right? But it may also determine how severe the economic collapse will be or if a major quake were to hit a big city. Scientists are saying that Los Angeles is way overdue for a major quake and remember how bad hurricane Katrina was in New Orleans?