Monday, October 24, 2011

A tale of gossip.....

There once was a gathering of several men for a home bible study. What was intended to be a bible study turned into a confessional. The men sat around talking and sharing with each other their secrets that no one knew except God. The first man confessed that he was having an exciting sexual tryst with the "blond bombshell" church secretary because he was "bored" with his plain jane wife at home. Another man admitted to stealing church funds for his drug and gambling addition. Yet another confessed he had been cheating on his taxes for over a decade. Still another figured since everyone was being totally honest, he may as well get off his chest that he murdered his neighbor who pissed him off so much. In the back corner of the room there sat a man who remained quiet the entire time. Finally he spoke up and everyone turned to him and listened intently. The man said my problem is gossip. I just can not get a handle on my tongue and I can not wait to get out of here so I can "share" with everyone what I have just heard from you all. This man's itching tongue propelled him forward through the door so fast that no other man in the room hadn't a chance to stop him. Not even the "murderer"!

And the moral of the story is? Gee I haven't a clue, you tell me.

Well anyway my "opinion" is that so many of our churches have been reduced to such nonsense and the older you get the less tolerance you have for such Peyton Place mentality.

I wish more pastors would preach to their congregation about the wicked tongue and the destruction it causes. The book of James pretty much says it all.