According to a report published in The Journal of Gender Studies, many American women are bucking centuries of traditional gender roles by placing stunted, emotionally unfulfilling relationships on hold in order to pursue mind-numbing careers devoid of any upward mobility.
The study, which surveyed a cross-section of 477 female recent college graduates, found that young women were 23 percent more likely than any previous generation to seek dissatisfaction in the professional world rather than in empty romantic partnerships. Dr. Gillian Detweiller, a professor of women's studies at the University of Maryland and coauthor of the report, said that the data suggests a cultural sea change in how women choose to experience lifelong disappointment!!!
I am one of these women that this article is talking about. In my early twenties I dated several men and always came up empty......just too much shallowness, so I turned my attention to work instead. But unfortunately, that too, has turned up empty. I have gone through so many jobs in the healthcare field that my work is actually becoming an oppressive burden. What gives? Going to heaven? Yeah! I'm all for it. Many times I just wish God would get on with this world and bring all the injustice to an end and wrap it all up. Many times I wonder how God allows all this evil and particularly, the evil in men's and women's hearts, to go on. In the days of Noah, God looked on man's hearts and saw NOT ONE noble intention.....in fact man's heart was intentionally evil all the time and God was sorry He even created man. Wow, pretty pathetic isn't it? As a Christian, I am perpetually disturbed in my heart by all the mindless nonsense I see in the workforce, particularly among women. It seems people thrive on gossip, backbitting, backstabbing, deceitfulness and the like. When someone comes along and makes it very clear they have absolutely no intention of being that kind of person, they will immediately become the subject of scrutiny. In other words, they will stand out like a sore thumb.
In the many jobs I have had in Long term care, some women are like Nazi troopers, beastly, with very little feminine qualities. They seem to thrive on gossip, backstabbing and tearing another individual down to absolutely nothing. It's make you wonder where these people were raised. Were they raised on the African plains were they became savage beasts just to survive? I don't know, but it has become increasingly depressing to work with people like that. And this is why I keep quitting jobs. The last job I was at, I explained to the director of nursing that I am not a gossip, I am actually a loner because I will not engage in mindless chatter that is only about tearing another person down. She tells everyone that I am not a social person and I don't like to chit-chat. Well, that's not entirely true. I am social and I do like to talk, but I will not engage in mindless negative gossip. There's a big difference between constructive criticism (that has the goal in mind of making a person better) and criticism that based only in contempt. The first one is postive, the latter is negative. And it just seems that people are more interested in the latter. Everyday I would go to work, on my break I would sit in the break room and turn on the TV and it never failed, a soap opera was on. When people fill their mind with mindless crap, out will come mindless crap. I have encouraged women repeatedly through the years to read a newspaper instead of reading a Harlequin Romance novel. To watch the History channel instead of watching soap operas (that basically teach you to be a backstabbing you know what).
I've also encouraged women to read the dictionary to enhance their vocabulary. These are all postive, not negative. But unfortunately, people have no interest in intelligent things, but rather juicy gossip and mindless, idle chatter.
Even in churches that I have attended, I have found this to be true. People seem to be more interested in competing and knowing the latest gossip of a divorce or an affair or the new person attending than they do in what the sermon was about or what God was doing in their life. I have found that people can recollect very sharply the latest gossip than they can the morning sermon and how God spoke to their heart. Why is this? Is it more entertaining and exciting to know the lastest gossip or is it that people can't stand living a "boring" life of minding their own business as the Bible admonishes us to do in I Thessalonians 4:11 and 12? The other problem that I have found to be true with many people is their certain pettiness. It seems that all their brain can focus on is the petty things........the unimportant things when measured in terms of perspective. Through the years, I have worked along side women and have been in relationships with men in which everything I do and say is scrutinized to the point where it just becomes unbearable and intolerable. So I just bail out or quit because I can't stand it anymore. Why do people have to focus on petty "stuff"? (I would use another "choice" word in here but I'll refrain from using it) I mean, in the grand scope of things, how important is the fact that I use sweet-n-low on my salad? Or that I eat cocoa puffs for breakfast? (I'm using these as an example to show you the futility). You find this very evident in Washington politics as well. Congress is too busy battling out their partisanship over petty things than they are in actually addressing the real important matters such as the obvious energy crisis, not to mention the healthcare crisis in this country and our national debt which will no doubt lead to this country's demise. What about social security and medicare.........these programs that will undoubtly go broke in time. No, congress is too busy fighting back and fourth because they can't agree, so instead they decide to pass laws on things they can agree on like naming a highway or making a new national holiday. (Rep. John Shimkus of Illinois introduced a resolution to recognize June 30 as National Corvette Day. "It's probably not the best use of our time, but we have to do something. These resolutions make it look like we're working"). No wonder we see very little productivity.
I have always said I prefer to be autonomous and be by myself. Now you know why. And in terms of my job, this is why I prefer homecare instead. It's just me and the client and I can freelance my skills and experience, not to mention my unique gifts to a person in need of companionship and assistance with their adl's. I have never succeeded in Long-term care nor have I succeeded working in an office environment or anywhere where there is a "peaking order". Too many clicks, or in the case of politics, to much partianship and very little productivity. I have never been one to run with the herd, even in High School, I never cared about popularity or being in the "in" crowd or making sure my name was in every club. I was a loner, but that did not mean that I didn't have friends. Quality is much better than quanity.
The only conclusion I can come to is that the reason people engage in premediated backstabbing and gossip and deceitfulness is because they think the crowd will like them and accept them into the "group" or click. We know that to be true in High School. If you didn't drink, smoke and party or engage in premarital sex, then you were a square. It's unbelievable that people will be more inclined to engage in juicy gossip than they will in perserving someone's reputation and they do this all to their own advancement in the group. The worst part.........these people have no shame, much less a conscience. They spread their posion everywhere and this is why God is shoved out of their lives because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions nor do they what to be held to a standard of righteousness.